Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, October 7, 2010

37 Weeks

Baby's now the size of a watermelon!
Your full-term (yay!) baby is gaining about 1/2 ounce a day and getting his first sticky poop (called meconium) ready. She's also brushing up on skills for the outside world: blinking, sucking, inhaling, exhaling, and gripping (it's getting strong!).
Today brings two beautiful words: full-term. Now, whenever baby's born, she's likely to thrive. Also thriving? Your nesting instincts, which are behind those sudden urges to bake, clean, or embroider a onesie. (Feminists, take your issue up with nature, not with us.)

Your baby is now considered full term, even though your due date is still three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. She weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long.


Today's doctor visit: Blood Pressure 120/60. I gained one pound: 238. She did an internal and that was major uncomfortable. Still 50 percent effaced. ZERO dilation. Cervix is still closed and fine. She got her heart beat right away, and it was nice and steady. But the Doppler was on the fritz so she wanted to get a NST monitor of her heart just to check it out. Mike says later, "Her GIZMO was broken." When she came back in she said we were already scheduled for a NST as part of our visit today. Either way we went in to be monitored. And for 20 minutes, we got her heart rate and I was supposed to click this button every time I felt her move. I probably only clicked twice.... SHE WAS SLEEPING!! Rate was fine High 120 to 130's, the entire time. They gave me water... four cups. Switched me to my side, still sleeping.
So then the other tech came in and told us to put my cell phone on the belly and have Mike call the phone. Great her first cell phone call in utero! Apparently the vibrations of the phone on silent wake her up.

Sure has heck, she answered! She got hiccups, and spun around and clicking away I went. After 20 minutes Doc came in and said, everything is great as I expected but it is great to see a reading.

So we are good for another week. Mike is also flying out this week for two days so she NEEDS to stay put. Our appointment is next Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim:

    I'm so excited that I can reply to your blog with my Gmail address!

    Hope all is well. Talk to you later!

    xoxox

    Me

    ReplyDelete