Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sleep.... ZZZZZ.....

Our life changed on Friday a few days ago and I have been scared to write about it. On Friday, January 28th, we put Maggie down to sleep at 10 pm and was planning on waking up for the middle of the night feeding as we have been for the last three months. Hours went by. I woke up around 7 am. I awoke confused and sleepy. I couldn't remember waking up with her in the middle of the night. I ALWAYS wake up with her. Even though we are bottle feeding, I am the middle of the night partner and Mike is early morning first bottle of the day guy. He is more of a morning person. In the early days, sometimes I wouldn't go to sleep till AFTER the 2 am feeding. I know crazy. But Friday morning was foggy, just not outside, but in my head. I just didn't remember getting up to feed her. I thought I heard her, make those grunt like noises, but no big tears of "COME GET ME MOM" like noises. I thought and asked Mike, "Did you wake up and feed her?" He said no. I said, "Are you sure?" He said, "YES, when do I ever get up to feed her." Good point. So then we counted the bottles, and sure as they were there that morning, NO ONE fed her. She slept the entire night. It was like winning the lottery. Surely, this is a fluke. An off night. Then, the next night, she woke up and I did hear her grunting. I went to the bathroom, a step in the middle of the night I usually don't do, but the time I came out, she fell back to sleep on her own! I did not change her or feed her. I went back to bed. She slept 7 hours that night. The next night, I heard grunting away and surely I was going to get her up and feed her. But then, motherly instincts kicked in. What if she doesn't need me to get her out and change her? What if she doesn't need fed? Would I mess up our new routine of blissfully sleeping through the night? Does she know if I would get her off the track of success?

So I very quietly, picked her up. Changed her diaper in Super Man-like speed. Then I gently laid her back in the crib with binky. She went back to sleep. Sunday night- same thing- quickly changed a diaper, but did not give her a bottle.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a baby that Sleeps through the night. Let's give it a few days before we call it a small victory, but my goodness we were all shocked.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! It's no fluke if she's done it 4 or 5 nights running! how wonderful that maggie has given you the gift of sleep - nothing better!
    What a little sweetheart! Life is good.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete